Education: PhD in Physics at the Faculty of Natural Sciences and Mathematics, University of Maribor (2011)
Employment: Faculty of Medicine and Faculty of Natural Sciences and Mathematics, University of Maribor
Job title: Assistant professor for Physics
Research interest: Computational biomedicine, complex networks, theoretical biophysics, and network physiology. Special attention is devoted to the relation of these fields with the understanding of the fundamental principles in biomedical systems, mostly in pancreatic islets of Langerhans and in relation to the pathogenesis of diabetes.
Spare time activities: spending time with my family, sports and hiking in nature, going to parties with friends.
- U. Marhl, M. Gosak, 2019. Proper spatial heterogeneities expand the regime of scale-free behaviour in a lattice of excitable elements. Physical Review E 100, 062203.
- M. Gosak, R. Markovič, J. Dolenšek, M. S. Rupnik, M. Marhl, A. Stožer, M. Perc, 2018. Network science of biological systems at different scales: a review. Physics of life reviews 24, 118.
- M. Gosak, A. Stožer, R. Markovič, J. Dolenšek, M. Perc, M. S. Rupnik, M. Marhl, 2017. Critical and supercritical spatiotemporal calcium dynamics in beta cells. Frontiers in physiology 8, 1106.
Marko’s Recent Publications
- Assessing the origin and velocity of Ca2+ waves in three-dimensional tissue: Insights from a mathematical model and confocal imaging in mouse pancreas tissue slicesMarko Šterk, Jurij Dolenšek, Lidija Križančić Bombek, Rene […]
- Critical and Supercritical Spatiotemporal Calcium Dynamics in Beta CellsFrontiers in Physiology, DOI: https://doi.org/10.3389/fphys.2017.01106
- Network science of biological systems at different scales: A reviewPhysics of Life Reviews, DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.plrev.2017.11.003
- Proper spatial heterogeneities expand the regime of scale-free behavior in a lattice of excitable elementsPhysical Review E, DOI: https://doi.org/10.1103/PhysRevE.100.062203
Marko’s Recent Events
- Network science as a gateway to understanding of emerging dynamics and function of multicellular systemsA lecture given by our team member dr. […]